Wednesday 2 March 2011

What were the chances of that?

In the third workshop which was led by Richard Sweeney, we were concentrating on his techniques of creating paper sculptures using modular shapes. He showed us a technique of cutting out shapes with tabs to create a net.  much like this image below.


However I started to make a modular form in a different way, some of Sweeny's work much like these images below really inspired me and I challenged myself to see if I could create one of my own.




To create these kind of models, you have to consider basic geometry and tessellation, and possibly symmetry  so you can make the model look balanced and equal no matter what angle it is photographed.  A lot of his works base from ahexagon or square so he can build on them further, avoiding from his sculptures becoming restricted. 

For my template, I just decided to base mine on a circle (probably the most difficult shape to tessellate) but it was worth a try, when I thought of this idea I didn't really expect much seen as I didn't plan out what I wanted to do. Anywho, this is the template...


To make is more 3 dimensional, I scored from the centre out and down each prong so I could fold them to make it create an edge. 



Then, I started bending and pushing the shape to it's limits. Then I simply folded shape in half, I was able to that because of the circle at the base (so maybe that circle wasn't as useless as first anticipated). This shape made it much more easier to tessallate. So lets see how far I could push the boar out till the point I could not tessellate it....


This was the result of tessellating the shape, a skeletal flower? Perhaps. The beginnings of a snowflake, perhaps? But I could see that this was a good interpretation of a human egg cell. I could only tell if it would be appropriate if I carry on adding more...

However, I though how am I going to create a spherical model? Nevermind, I will cross that hurdle when the time came to it. Another thought that sprung to mind was the fact that not only the pattern off the model is repetitive but the actual method of putting the model together was also repetitive. The cutting out of the template, then scoring, folding, stapling, over and over again. My model fitted into the brief without realising and without the intention. Result. 

I carried on and here are some photographs to show the result....


Just simply passing light through the shape and photographing them resulted in some quirky photographs of the shadow. 






Looking at these images, and showing them to peers, tutors and family, they instantly asked is this a snowflake? "NO." I would answer, "A human egg cell." Then I would have a few blank faces looking at me. I don't care, the human egg cell is a far more interesting idea than a silly snowflake. 

There is another problem now that I need to overcome, I would I make it spherical? Wire? Possibly... 
As I took my model down from it's hanging position on the side, I held it from the top, the sides droop down. As if Isaac Newton was looking over my shoulder, the natural presence of gravity created a more spherical shape! Happy days.... (although a little bit of wire would do the trick!)



So it just goes to show you that the risks that you can take can be the start of an idea which really works for you... What were the chances of that?! 




No comments:

Post a Comment