Wednesday 2 March 2011

Isn't the human anatomy, amazing?

I have experimented different techniques just so I could get to grips with the actual material and how it works. Each method whether it be scoring, slicing, pleating etc. the paper, they all result in a very different outcome. Some methods like slice and bending work hand in hand together and allow the paper to over come it's own restrictions.

Now I feel that I am more comfortable with working with the paper I need to knuckle down to a theme so I can experiment further.....

I have always been interested in the human anatomy, how it works, how it grows etc. The parts that interest me the most are the heart, obviously one of the most important organs in the body. This organ relates the main theme of the project of  repeat by the action it plays in a human body. The repeatitive pumping motion that keeps the blood flowing through the body.

Another one is the lungs, this links back to the theme of repeat because of there process in the body, they expand and deflate constantly with a repeating process of gases being exchanged within the space. Also the actual formation of the lungs, when the alveoli is put under a powerful microscope, the images are amazing....



Microscopy of the human lung shows the small passages for the air to pass through. Under a powerful microscope I can see great potential for the paper sculptures because if the repetitive nature of the surface pattern. It's just a matter of sampling which technique would be best to recreate this in paper. 

Another part or process of the human body which is interesting is the moment where conception occurs. I have found some images on the internet of the human egg under a powerful microscope. This is related to the theme of  'repetition' not only because of the psychical appearance the hexagonal structure but, theoretically. The menstrual cycle is repetitive in the way the process as in lasts for 28days, the process repeats of the release of the egg. The fact that your reproductive system repeats a regular pattern of events.








As you can see from the images, the best way to recreate this form would either be in the repetition of modular shapes, or cut offs. I will experiment this within my next blog. 

No comments:

Post a Comment